by Jen Anderson
Though winter includes the holidays, bright decorations, puffy snow and a general feeling of delight, the season can unfortunately have damaging effects on your hair, lips and skin, requiring special care. With the sheer amount of products available, it’s sometimes hard to weed out the fabulous from those with false hope. These options below are affordable and spectacular cures to the dastardly effects brought about by cold weather each year.
Aussie 3-Minute Miracle ($2.50)
- Winter does nothing but make hair brittle and damaged. Keep your locks looking silky smooth by using this inexpensive deep conditioning treatment once a week. For only $2.50, this is an indulgence you can’t skip. Available at www.walmart.com.
Bumble and Bumble Sunday Shampoo ($20)
- With all the hustle and bustle of holidays and finals, sometimes it’s easy to go several days or even a week without washing your hair. Luckily, that’s where Sunday Shampoo comes in. This shampoo is perfect for restoring even the worst of winter damage into a fresh new look. Available at www.sephora.com.
Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain ($7.50)
- Finding the perfect lipstick for winter is no easy task. Revlon’s balm stain is the ideal lip color, moisturizes each time it’s applied, and even has a marvelously minty fragrance. Compared to other high-end lip stains, Revlon does not disappoint. Available at www.target.com.
Blistex Simple and Sensitive ($2)
- It’s truly amazing how such an inexpensive product like Blistex Simple and Sensitive can be so relieving on harsh, weathered lips. With only six ingredients, this lip balm gives a refreshing natural treatment. Available at www.walgreens.com.
Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion ($24.50)
- Though it may initially seem expensive, this moisturizer is worth the price, especially since one bottle will last a long time. The lotion is light enough to wear at night after a dry winter day, but also great in the mornings for a quick pick-me-up. Available at www.clinique.com.
Burt’s Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream ($6)
- One of winter’s hardest-hit areas are the hands, with weather drying out skin, nails, and worst yet, cuticles. Burt’s Bees, being the heavenly brand we all love, has one of the best cuticle creams on the market to soften up nails with a pleasant lemon-sage scent. Available at www.walgreens.com.
Aveeno Baby Soothing Relief Creamy Wash ($6.25)
- It’s not every day that someone suggests lathering up with baby products. However, during winter your own skin demands delicate and effortless treatment in the shower, just like a baby’s. Aveeno’s cream wash is a great alternative to more expensive options that promise the same results with coarser ingredients. Available at www.target.com.
Philosophy Purity ($20)
- Philosophy Purity, the well-known facial cleanser and makeup remover, is the all-in-one solution after cold, stressful day. Just a small amount of this cleanser will leave your face renewed or relax your skin for a good night’s rest. Available at www.ulta.com.
Smashbox BB cream ($39)
- This BB (beauty balm) cream is the ideal makeup solution for covering your face without all the weight of normal foundation. Since BB cream also acts as a moisturizer, it keeps skin nourished all day long. Smashbox’s BB cream lasts longer than most foundations and only takes a small dollop to cover the entire face. Available at www.smashbox.com.
“Need a Margarita” Refreshing Citrus Body Scrub ($13.50)
- Everyone deserves an island getaway in the winter. As the weather continues to dry out the top layer of skin, don’t forget to exfoliate away dead cells once and awhile for healthy, glowing skin. Thankfully, this beach vacation comes at only $13.50 and smells delicious. Available www.bathandbodyworks.com.
Check out this story in the Winter/Spring issue of MODA, now on newsstands around the UW-Madison campus!